[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Aug 22 18:28:59 UTC 2011

On 11-08-22 02:19 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> It would be
> better if mythTV had a pass-through mode that disabled buffering to
> disk, eliminating the ability to pause/record/rewind but providing
> lower latency playback of the content and a way to pass through remote
> control commands from the frontend to the STB/appliance, but nothing
> like that exists right now.

I've previously wondered if that "write-to-disk-read-from-disk" latency
were actually necessary for something like live-tv.

As I understand it, currently when you watch live-tv, myth starts
recording the tv channel and then starts playing back from the stream
it's writing to disk, incurring the latency.

But what if instead, on the initial "watch tv" operation, mythtv took
the stream from the encoder and wrote it to disk (i.e. status quo) but
also played it directly.  Obviously it would have to keep track of
exactly where in that written file it was currently playing, and when,
but only when the user provides a navigation operation (pause, rewind)
would it switch to reading from disk.

b.