[mythtv-users] CableCard and FIOS

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Aug 21 19:55:19 UTC 2011

On 8/21/2011 14:49, Billy Macdonald wrote:
> But then I got to thinking, FIOS has their multiroom DVR package.  How
> is it that they can have any shows that aren't "copy-freely"
> transmitted to other TVs, but MythTV, Tivo, and even Windows Media
> Center cannot do the same?  It just feels like the purpose of
> CableCards was to level the playing field, but by the cable company's
> own stb boxes ignoring some of the copy protection settings aren't
> they in violation of their own terms in a sense?

Windows Media Center can stream copy protected content to extenders just
fine.  TiVo has no mechanism to maintain copy protection between
independent units, so they are not authorized to stream in such a
manner.  MythTV simply can't implement any form of copy protection.

CableCard was supposed to level the playing field, but the FCC made the
mistake of leaving it under the control of the cable industry.  As such,
the field was set so unattainably high that only a few companies have
the resources to play.