[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Rob Davis rob at davis-family.info
Sun Aug 21 13:39:57 UTC 2011

On 21/08/11 02:49, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 8/20/2011 22:38, Rob Davis wrote:

>>> There is no need to record movies when you can get them any time on
>>> Netflix.
>>>
>>> I need to "capture" the Netflix stream so that I can distribute it to
>>> the TVs around the house.
>> I use a Windows machine and playon from www.playon.com.  It will allow
>> Netflix to become accessible via uPnP.
>
> PlayOn breaches the DRM chain, offering copy protected content without
> any form of protection over UPNP.  Either PlayOn is accessing NetFlix
> content without authorization, or someone at NetFlix isn't paying much
> attention.  It all seems a bit too shady for my tastes.  Or the third
> option, the whole thing is completely legitimate, and there is no reason
> why MythTV should not have access to the same interface to implement its
> own support of NetFlix Instant.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure playon links with Flash somehow,
it's able to use a number of sites which don't work on similar xbmc
plugins. Hulu+ for instance..  There are big Netflix signs all over
their website, so they're not being shy about it..  And I got the url
wrong, it's www.playon.tv

>> I recently ditched Cable and still have an HDPVR, so have put this on
>> the bluray player.  However, my remote Mythfrontend doesn't have a
>> recent enough libx264 to compile against so it won't work remotely.
>
> Huh?  x264 is a video encoder.  MythTV does not support encoding to the
> H264 format, and so could not use x264 even if you had a "recent enough"
> version.  Further, the HDPVR is a hardware encoder, not a framegrabber,
> and would not need an encoding library anyway.

Dunno, the effect is that it won't play the channel on the remote
framegrabber, but will on the local one.  I though enabling x264 support
would allow video playback and ./configure presented me with the error
that the library was too old.  Gave up at that point.

--

Rob Davis