[mythtv-users] Kernel Crashes using anything over 2.6.35

Saul A. Peebsen jaglover at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 00:01:10 UTC 2011

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 16:04:16 -0500
Rob Davis <rob at davis-family.info> wrote:

> I seem to remember reading something on the list here about people
> having problems with the rtl8139 gigabit driver and thought that might
> be the reason why my system won't work with anything over 2.6.35.

I'm just configuring a new nettop for my wife and of course I
investigated dmesg after first boot. It said firmware with fixes for
r8169 is not found or something along the lines. There was no Gentoo
package with firmware for this card, so I downloaded a Debian package
to get it. Error from dmesg went away, my kernel is 3.0.3. Note, the
NIC worked despite the error in dmesg.
That made me think there may be a firmware upgrade for your NIC, too.
Just my 2c, Google will help.

--
Cheers, Saul