[mythtv-users] The elusive silent myth BE/FE box [in search of]

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sat Aug 20 12:42:47 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

> On 20/08/11 08:10, Epinephrine Junky wrote:
> >
> > For a variety of reasons my backend sits behind my TV and bugs the crap
> > out of me because I can't get it to be silent. It seems that no matter
> how
> > many times I change the fan configuration in hopes of a cheap/easy fix
> > there's just too much heat with my Core E6600 CPU and GeForce GT220. I
> > measure 85W for the whole system with my kill-a-watt. That's better than
> > the 130W I started with 2yrs ago (got better 80+ PSU and traded 3.5"
> drives
> > for 2.5") but it's not enough to get a silent BE/FE.
> >
> > Here's what I've
> > found that makes me think it may be possible.
> >
> > JETWAY JNC9B-HM67 SOCKET G2
> > (RPGA 988B) INTEL HM67 HDMI SATA 6GB/S USB 3.0 MINI ITX INTEL MOTHERBOARD
> -
> > 0 ON Newegg
> >
> > That plus a 25W mobile Sandy Bridge CPU cuts system power to
> > pretty low levels. Something like 30W at TDP and considerably less at
> > typical and idle. Next the GPU, it looks like the NVIDIA GT 520 (using
> Asus
> > silent model) can handle the VDPAU playback with another 29W TDP and less
> > for typical operation.
> >
> > So far I'm looking at a system with one x16 slot
> > for a GPU and one mini PCIE slot. To add my TV tuner (hauppage hvr-2250)
> > need:
> >
> > PCI Express Mini to PCI E X1 adapter with flexible cable and extra
> > PE-X1 straddle - 2 @
> >
> HTTP://WWW.ORBITMICRO.COM/GLOBAL/PEMINI2X1-S-F--BASE-P-8247.HTML?REF=BASE

> > use 4 drives in my system: 1 for the OS, 1 for the media, and 2 in Raid 1
> > as my NAS. 3 of my drives are 2.5" to save space and cut power while my
> > media sits on the 3.5" for lowest cost/GB. I'm willing to give up the
> > optical drive I almost never use but the JetWay has 5 SATA ports so I'm
> > covered either way. This system seems ideal for a 130W Pico PSU sold by
> > ELECTRODACUS on ebay (no fans).
> >
> > I've cut my PSU fan and GPU fan and I'm
> > hoping to rig a passive cooler for the CPU and have one big (120mm?)
> quiet
> > fan to cool the whole system.
> >
> > So I have two remaining problems:
> >
> > 1) I
> > can't find any CPU coolers for the G2 socket mobile Sandy Bridge so I may
> > have to McGyver something. At 25W I'm not too worried but would prefer to
> > reserve my glue and duct tape for other projects.
> >
> > 2) I need a case that
> > can take three 2.5" drives, one 3.5" drive (prefer soft mounted to mute
> > vibrations) and possibly an optical drive along with the aforementioned
> > mini ITX motherboard and the biggest fan I can cram in there.
> >
> > Any
> > suggestions on a case or CPU cooler? Am I spending too much time and
> money
> > on this? (hint the answer is yes)
> > Anything I might have
> > overlooked?

> [...]

To be honest, I think the OP is on the wrong track - trying to equate "low
power" and "silent".

They're certainly related, but not at all the same thing - for instance, the
power brick you mention -  yes, it burns real power, but it's not making the
system any louder!

My advice - either go bigger (silence is easier to achieve with 140mm fans,
since they can be run a lot slower than small ones, and you can use massive
CPU coolers like the Noctua NH-D14) or move the backend to somewhere you
can't hear it.

- Chris