[mythtv-users] Interesting Problem - Can't have third PCI Card - USB Suggestions?

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Sat Aug 20 12:10:53 UTC 2011

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:48 +0100, "Mike Perkins"
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> You have another option, and that is to run your HDHR on a different
> 'network'.
> Put another NIC in your master backend (PCI, PCIe, USB, whatever) and
> connect
> your HDHR directly to it with a crossover cable - some NICs don't even
> need a
> crossover any more, they can figure out what to present on what wires so
> you
> could try a patch cable.
>
> Configure this link with addresses in a different subnet. There is no
> reason for
> your HDHR to communicate with any other box than your MBE - why clog the
> tubes
> with that traffic, then?
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

Well, that might be the best option if I run into problems.  I actually
have a PCI ethernet card floating around here (or at the worst I buy a
USB one).  I can hook it into the network, and if there is a problem,
throw the card in the computer and setup a new network.  I assume I just
have to run a DHCP server, correct?

I wonder if I am pigeonholing myself only getting the single tuner...
Three tuners on 45 channels should be enough, I would think, though...
It is just NOBODY wants the single tuners anymore, so $30 sounds good to
me :)  I have already spent the budget on the project (Antenna $60, Wire
$30, 2tb HD, $70, Computer $70, Video Card $20, Keyboard $35, Tuner
Cards $40 = $325).  I understand that isn't alot for some, but I am a
poor farmer with bills! :)

--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com