[mythtv-users] Toronto Mythtv Users: Anyone not getting TVO listings from Schedules Direct?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Aug 20 01:57:33 UTC 2011

On 08/19/2011 02:49 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> FWIW, Schedules Direct users should never use --refresh-all.  You should
>> use --dd-grab-all, instead.
>>
>> As a matter of fact, unless you have an underpowered master backend or
>> MySQL server system, you should use --dd-grab-all every day.  See:
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/449426#449426
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/d2822566
> I didn't come across that until I did some more digging on my issue.
> Should that be added as a default or as a suggestion when you tab
> through mythtv-setup? I dig around and also read the mailing list
> every day. Myth's installation went so well that I'm sure there are
> many out there who can almost almost do an install and forget and
> aren't as detailed as others.

We're hoping to get some more optimizations in place to allow more
efficient use--even on underpowered systems--then we will probably
change the default for mythfilldatabase's use of Schedules Direct (which
will affect all Schedules Direct users).  In the mean time, it's mainly
something that we recommend people investigate individually (since you
really need to do a test run at least once before adding the argument to
your settings--to make sure it's "reasonably" fast on your
system--because for some period of the time it takes,  you have no
listings at all, not even for today, so the larger that time period, the
more likely it could cause issues due to bad timing of a refresh
relative to scheduled/desired recordings).

FWIW, I've been running with --dd-grab-all since I posted that message
(on Aug 31, 2010--so I'm approaching the one year anniversary) and
haven't seen any issues at all (and have gotten many updates for
last-minute schedule changes that meant I didn't record the wrong thing
and then miss the rescheduled later showing because MythTV thought it
already recorded the show I wanted.  That said, my complete
mythfilldatabase run is less than a minute, so I don't have much
"exposure" to the "bad-timing" issue that could occur for others.

Mike