[mythtv-users] Anyone tested the DVB-T2 dual tuner TBS6280?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 18:11:33 UTC 2011

Lawrence Rust wrote:

>I haven't used the 6280 but I do have a 6981 (dual dvb-S2).
>
>The driver is shipped as a mixture of source and pre-compiled object
>files for their custom frontends.  You re-build all the v4l drivers 'out
>of tree' using a v4l-media environment (see www.linuxtv.org/repo/) by
>running 'sudo make install'.
>
>The stock v4l sources supplied are old (from around 2.6.35) and don't
>contain many current fixes.  This isn't a problem per-se unless you
>intend to use the card with another v4l card.  In this case your brand
>new, bug fixed drivers are replaced by TBS's version which may or, as in
>my case, may not work.
>
>I repeatedly mailed TBS support at support at tbsdtv.com to ask how I could
>only install the 6981 driver but never got an answer.  In desperation I
>setup a git tree of 2.6.35 and merged it with the TBS drivers in order
>to separate their changes.  Finally after many hours I have a set of
>patches that I can apply to 2.6.39 that produce a working driver.
>
>Be warned that if you run a 2.6.38 or later kernel then the IR RC won't
>work because of significant changes to the RC architecture that TBS
>don't like (see http://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=929 and
>http://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=110&start=90#p2693 )
>
>Not for the faint hearted.

Since I'm also looking for a DVB-T2 tuner, and this aspect concerned
me, I email TBS. I got a reply (on Saturday evening !) which I've had
permission to forward :

My email read :

>As a long time user o Myth TV, I've been waiting for a usable DVB-T2
>tuner to add to my setup as our Freeview HD uses the T2 standard. I
>already have DVB-T.
>When someone posted about your TBS6280 I was a little excited, until
>the thread progressed and it seems your Linux drivers & support just
>aren't up to scratch.
>
>Personally, if there were "in tree" support of this card then I'd
>already have bought one. Looking at the "me too"s in the thread, it
>seems there are several others in the same position.
>
>The technical situation seems to be summed up by this posting :
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/489003?do=post_view_threaded#489003
>
>Since I (along with others) don't have the skills to embark on such
>efforts to get a working setup, it seems I'll have to wait. If
>someone else comes up with a working card in the meantime then
>you'll have lost out.
>
>Are you working with anyone to get support for your cards included
>in the standard kernel tree ? If not, are you planning on doing so ?
>Having been down the road of "compiled drivers that break on every
>kernel update" before, it's not somewhere I intend to go again.
>
>I think you only have a fairly narrow window of opportunity here.
>Watching the threads in the mailing list there is pent up demand for
>good DVB-T2 tuners with "support in the kernel" - whoever is second
>with such a device will miss out.

And the reply :

> [...]
>planning to migrate the package to the latest V4L tree.
>
>so, the facts are the facts - due to NDA restrictions it's always
>the same story and latest and high performance hardware don't have
>fully open-source Linux drivers, but we did our best to make the
>small closed source part of the drivers for our hardware in a way
>that it doesn't give any restrictions in practice and behaves as
>open-source, i.e. no Linux kernel version or distribution
>restrictions (our Linux driver package is restricted up to
>particular Linux kernel though, but that's because it contains V4L
>tree which adds the limitation).
>
>as you can see there are many things to be considered and many
>points of view and of course many opinions about it too. however,
>our experience in the last several years shows that we had more
>satisfied Linux customers than the opposite, for example last week i
>helped Linux user from UK to get his TBS 6280 running and he's very
>happy being able to enjoy DVB-T2 in his Linux setup especially
>considering the fact that no other DVB-T2 card on the market has
>Linux support and at the same time it's latest generation hardware
>like TBS 6280 with high-performance Samsung DVB-T2 Network Interface
>Module (NIM) based on the latest technologies - for example NXP
>tuner inside the Samsung module is the only one certified for DVB-T2
>(other companies use tuner that is for DVB-T). anyway, i know that
>no matter how much effort we put and no matter how good support we
>provide there always will be people who are complaining - i don't
>mean you here, because your haven't used any TBS product in Linux in
>practice to form your own opinion, but usually the complains i'm
>talking about are more subjective than something objective and real
>and often even due to limited knowledge of the customer - after all
>we can't teach our customer how to use Linux.
>
>also, in case of TBS 6280 there is something else you should know -
>currently we keep two separate Linux drivers: one that support DVB-T
>only and another that supports DVB-T2 only. that's because we want
>more people to test those two drivers before we merge them and it's
>more efficient to locate the problem in case a customer report such.
>so, the driver for TBS 6280 you can find on our website supports
>DVB-T only, but it can be switched to support DVB-T2 very easy. so,
>single driver that supports DVB-T and DVB-T2 will be released after
>we're sure both codes are bug-free. so, far feedback we received
>doesn't reveal any serious bugs and reported problems were fixed -
>as i mentioned we already have customers in UK that are Linux users
>and use the card to watch DVB-T2 signal in UK.
>
>anyway, i spent time to write you this long e-mail on Saturday
>evening, because i'm Linux user myself and wanted to try to give you
>the whole picture. in any case it's up to you and your choice which
>hardware you believe fits your requirements best and purchase it.

It follow up emails, it does seem like Constantine is still aiming a
bit high in terms of user experience - he still believes these
drivers are easier to install than a kernel upgrade. This suggests
he's not really used to dealing with people for whom "apt-get update
&& apt-get upgrade" on the command line is "advanced".

I've said I'll wait and see how things pan out. I realise there is
stuff under NDA, and not being a dev I've no idea how hard it is to
get part of the driver into the kernel while leaving the stuff that's
under NDA as a binary blob that's independent of kernel/V4L.
--
Simon Hobson