[mythtv-users] Tracing Instability

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Sat Aug 13 21:32:53 UTC 2011

Hi, I'm on the trail of some instability (random hanging) of my
Mythbackend. What I've noticed that even though the backend process
appears to be running, at times recordings fail and frontends can't
connect, mythweb fails. I've set up a script based on
http://tweakingmythtv.wordpress.com/2011/01/11/mythbackend-deadlocks-and-auto-restart-script/
to catch the problem and restart the backend.

The configuration is:-

mythtv-backend-0.24.1-275  (atrpm's build)
mysql-5.0.77-4.el5_6.6
2.6.18-238.12.1.el5.centos.plus 64 bit

Pentium D at 3.4G
2G Main memory

Nova-T x 2
PVR-350
DVB-S2

nVidia graphics

The same hardware ran 0.23 without problems.

In addition to being a mythbackend, the machine has many other local
server duties. After watching what's going on, what I've noticed is that
when the processor is busy ( top showing > 3 ) then the backend
fails/restarts are more frequent. I suspect something might be timing
out, such as a Mysql database accesses. I've seen no clues as to what's
happening on the logs.

Any suggestions as to what I should look at to narrow this down.

Thanks

Ken

believed to be clean.