[mythtv-users] Long time Mythwelcome bugs?

Neil Cooper neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 17:01:12 UTC 2011

--- On Thu, 8/11/11, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Long time Mythwelcome bugs?
To: "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Date: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 7:07 PM

You're missing somethings. ;-)
1) You don't have to start the frontend in order for something to be recorded.

2)  Sounds like you don't have myth set up correctly to check before it shuts down. Not at home, so I can't be more specific, but there's a setup option to specify a program to run to check whether to shutdown or not. The program - shutdowncheck? - honors the lock as well a recognizing when a recording is active (and IIRC, some other things too). In my case,  I wanted to expand on this, so I call my own shell script which calls that program and does other tests before returning the appropriate value to signal whether to stay up or shutdown.

Craig.

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

>> 1) You don't have to start the frontend in order for something to be recorded.

Uhh.. not sure what part of my original post gave you the incorrect impression that  I didn't already know that, especially as I describe how when I'm done with the frontend I explicitly exit the frontend back to mythwelcome.

The problem is that mythwelcome is starting the frontend even when mythtv wakes itself up via ACPI to record a show, This shouldn't happen according to  the mythtv wiki:

Automatically Start Mythfrontend

- Normally when mythwelcome starts up it checks to see
 whether the system was started to record something or
 because of a wakeup/shutdown period. If not it will
 automatically start the frontend.
You can disable this feature by unchecking this option.