[mythtv-users] send UPnP to mythtv

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Aug 12 03:36:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 15:02:11 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 3:48 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
> wrote:
>> On 8/11/2011 10:02, Stephen Atkins wrote:
>>> I've searched around but can't find anything about sending a
>>> video/picture/music from a device to a mythtv box.  It works the other
>>> way around just great.  Anything recorded or other media I can see on
>>> my
>>> windows and other linux boxes just fine.  What I would like is to push
>>> video from my android phone to the myth frontend with out having to
>>> tether the phone and copy the file across to the videos dir.
>>
>> Right now, MythTV only operates as a UPNP server.  It does not support
>> client functionality.  As a hackish work around, you can use djmount
and
>> access the files in MythVideo.
>
> Is it really that hackish? This is the *nix philosophy in action.
> Small tools working together to create the whole. djmount presents
> upnp as a filesystem. myth can access a filesystem and play videos.

UPnP content is inherently transient.  You have a phone or camera that
serves up content.  You use something like PlayOn that transcodes streaming
content off the internet.  A friend brings over a media tank and places it
on your network.  Any content that isn't transient should be permanently
mounted to the backend using fstab, and served up using Storage Groups.
MythVideo is not designed for transient content.  Sure, it has the 'file
browse mode', but many of us consider that hackish and want it removed in
its own right.  Browse mode would require the user spend what could be
considerable time populating the entire tree each time they wanted to view
UPnP content.  Normal mode with scanning may not even be possible depending
on what the content is and MythVideo's need to hash everything.  Not
hackish would require something that either maintained a tree in the
background, periodically updating it, or populated the tree just-in-time as
the user was traversing it.