[mythtv-users] Test drives with hdparm

Josh Norell josh at kci.net
Thu Aug 11 15:24:04 UTC 2011

On 08/11/2011 09:13 AM, Josu Lazkano wrote:

>> Is your database on the same physical drive as your recordings?
>>

> Thanks for your replys.
>
> The system is Nvidia ION based board, I use VDPAU to playback. I try
> XBMC (XBMCFreak) and it play better than MythTV, maybe is a driver
> related issue.
>
> My database is on different drive. Tonigh I will try to monitor with
> htop and iotop.
>
> Thanks for your great help, best regards.

I had a similar problem that, also with a WD20EARS. I also had my
database on a different drive from the recordings. I moved it to the
same drive. Which helped a lot.

I also had my partition starting on sector 63. I remade my partitions to
work correctly with the advanced format, and saw another appreciable
gain in speed. However, I was using bonnie++ to test.

Between those two, I no longer get stalls.