[mythtv-users] An companion script for jamu.py

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 21:33:58 UTC 2011

> First, you could be transcoding your recordings to matroska, and
> outputting them in the /incoming folder with that naming scheme.  Should
> that be the case, the simple solution is to just alter your transcoding
> script to place them in their final location directly.  If you read through
> the Python bindings, there are actually mechanisms to relatively easily
> insert a new entry in the database for that video, and populate it with
> metadata from the selected metadata scripts.

Well, this is what I do; rip on my laptop, copy to a fileshare, then
transcode using the handbrake queue, check that each is correct then
move the files. It would be great to have a script that detected
finished files of the correct file extension and move to the correct
location in the mythvideo file hierarchy.

> Second, you could be downloading content like Sintel, and other open
> licensed video, but in that case, release of such content is so few and far
> between, its easier to just handle those individual files as they are
> available, rather than write any form of script to do it automatically.

not heard of thisl sintel, should go look it up.

> Third, you could be engaging in activities frowned upon by the developers,
> and banned from the mailing lists and IRC channels.  Please read the
> mailing list rules (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette#Anything_else_I_should_be_aware_of.3F
> ).  Code that serves little or no purpose outside of assisting in such
> activities will not be accepted upstream.

My point is that this does have a purpose for typical use cases and
the above (the third option) is frowned upon by myself and yet this
could be a useful feature.