[mythtv-users] run script as root at startup

F P zagor.fp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 12:30:23 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 2:00 PM, <"Brian J. Murrell"
<brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:

> Sounds like you need an initscript, which naturally runs as root
> scheduled to run before the backend initscript.

Yes, the initscript naturally running as root after (or before) the backend
starts, that's the goal.
But how do I do it?
Elsewhere somebody suggested to add the instances included in the script to
the mythbackend startup script in /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend or
/etc/init/mythbackend.conf. Is that what you mean?

Use the right tools for the right job.  Having the backend run a script
> elevated to a privileged user that just ends up in the backend
> restarting itself is simply the wrong tool.

I know, that's why I was asking!

Also, I'll give the rc.local approach suggested by Phill a try.

Thanks
Francesco