[mythtv-users] Two tuners showed up

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Aug 9 15:06:28 UTC 2011

Mark Lord wrote:

>No, what Robert meant to say, in plain English,
>is that pretty much ALL "DVB" cards can record multiple
>subchannels of a single physical channel simultaneously.
>
>So, if your local PBS station, for example, is on 17.1, 17.2, and 17.3,
>then those three "channels" are actually "subchannels" of a single
>physical channel.  And the HVR-1600, like just about all other tuners,
>can record any combination of one, two, or all three of those simultaneously.

I think part of the confusion is that historically with analogue
we've had one radio channel == one (analogue) stream == one program,
but now under digital we now have one radio channel == one (digital)
multiplex == multiple programs combined (multiplexed) into one
digital multiplex.
IE, the thing that people need to learn is that now Radio channel !=
Program channel any longer, but of course we still use "channel
numbers" to identify programs AND to indicate a frequency to tune :-/

--
Simon Hobson