[mythtv-users] remote control interface question

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 08:20:32 UTC 2011

On 8 August 2011 22:25, Dan Littlejohn <dan.littlejohn at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question about how the remote control interface or maybe I am doing
> something I do not understand.  When I issue the command "play file x" the
> frontend navigates to the main screen.  Is this expected, is there a way to
> prevent this, or am I doing something wrong?

Not quite sure what you mean by the command "play file x".

Do you mean that, starting from the opening screen you select:

"TV" ->" Watch Recordings"    ... select a recording and press "Enter"

and instead of playing the recording you get dumped back to the opening screen?

It's probably worth stating what version of myth your running and,
more importantly, whether you're running a pre-built mythtv package
such as mythbuntu or whether you built from rpms, self compiled, etc
etc... ?

I think your best next step is to look at the log output from the
frontend.  If you can't find a log then start mythtfrontend in a
command window and you'll be able to scroll through its output there.

There's many reasons for inability to play a recording in a newly
configured system, but I don't think I've ever been dumped back to the
main menu.  Perhaps the frontend is exiting and being automatically
restarted?  anyway, you should see something helpful in the log.