[mythtv-users] Network Bridging my Ceton InfiniTV 4

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Aug 9 01:11:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the input.  I did know and understand just about everything
> you said.  I guess I knew more than I thought.  From what I have read
> and witnessed, the bridge takes on the lowest MAC address of all the
> interfaces, and my eth0 is pretty high starting with f4.  The Ceton
> MAC address is almost always lower than eth0.  Since the ctn0 is
> random, then br0 is random.  It may not be possible to set an IP
> reservation in my router.  I tried the bridge_hw option to set the br0
> MAC to that of eth0, but I get a "SIOCSIFHWADDR: Operation not
> supported" error.

I see. I didn't know how it picked it. Have you tried the following commands:

ifconfig br0 hw ether 00:0a:e7:2c:44:2a

or

ip link set br0 address 00:0a:e7:2c:44:2a

one issue might be that you need to change it before the interface is
brought up. The page where I got these commands (
http://backreference.org/2010/07/28/linux-bridge-mac-addresses-and-dynamic-ports/
) suggests using:

 post-up ip link set br0 address 00:0a:e7:2c:44:2a

in your /etc/network/interfaces. Up not sure you'd want to do it after
it's up. Maybe use pre-up instead? Don't know...just guessing (my
master backend is busy the rest of the evening, so I can't experiment
on mine)

--
Ron Frazier