[mythtv-users] Network Bridging my Ceton InfiniTV 4

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Aug 8 18:48:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't completely understand what I am doing when setting up a bridge in my
> /etc/network/interfaces file.  I am running Ubuntu 11.04 with bridge-utils
> installed.  My host NIC is eth0 and the Ceton card is on "NIC" ctn0.  There
> is also the Ceton web server that accessible via the ctn0.  I setup the
> Ceton and its web server for DHCP.  I had my interfaces file as follows:
>
> auto br0
> iface br0 inet dhcp
>        bridge_ports eth0 ctn0
>
> This sorta worked, but had some negative side effects.  Since I use IP
> reservations on my router and the InfiniTV 4 MAC address changes upon every
> reboot, the IP would jump all over.  Is there any way to get the InfiniTV 4
> to retain a static MAC address?  There may be a couple more problems, but I
> will have to look into it when I get home.
>
> I ultimately want to set reserved IP address on my router for my host
> machine, InfiniTV 4, and InfiniTV 4 web server so that my router can route
> traffic accordingly.  Has anyone else done something like this?

The first thing you want to do is setup a fixed IP for you Ceton.
There are 2 ways to do this...either set it in the ceton's web
interface as a static address, or get it from a DCHP server. It sounds
like you've set it for DHCP, and based on your comments it sound like
you've been successful in getting this working, and you just want to
lock it down so it's predictable. Is your DHCP being handled by your
router or by your mythbox (or another server on the network)? Most
people tend to have their router to the DHCP. Almost every router I've
ever used has an option for fixed DHCP assignment. Generally, you go
into a config page somewhere on the router and you specify a hostname,
MAC address, and IP address, and whenever it gets a DHCP request from
that MAC address it will assign it that IP.

--
Ron Frazier