[mythtv-users] hardware considerations: fast CPU vs nvidia/vdpau?

Deyan mythtv at bektchiev.net
Sun Aug 7 13:14:55 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 22:47, Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote on Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:09:58PM -0400:
>> The big question is can it handle the OpenGL video renderer?  The Xv
>> blitter has some serious limitations, and should only be used as a last
>> resort.  Benchmarks put the Intel HD graphics at plenty powerful to run
>> OpenGL, but there have been mixed reports about driver difficulties in
>> Linux.
>
> I've been testing out OpenGL on my i3-540 today, and the results
> aren't great. I'm not sure whether the problems are the chip, the
> drivers, a misconfiguration on my part, or some combination of the
> three. In any case, CPU decoding with OpenGL isn't really usable for
> me.

I initially tried using OpenGL, however mythfrontend crashed every time.

glxgears runs fine however I didn't spend much time investigating why
it was crashing. I'm overseas for a couple of weeks and when I get
back I'll try to find out what is going on and if it's the Intel
driver or myth that is the issue with OpenGL rendering. That same
install (I had the drive in a Lenovo T400 laptop) was working fine
with the Intel graphics in the T400 so it might be the new HD graphics
support that is still lacking.

Deyan