[mythtv-users] 'mythtv is idle' and wont auto shutdown/suspend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Aug 7 12:40:44 UTC 2011

On 08/07/2011 03:14 AM, Tim Draper wrote:
>> How long have you waited after the FE shuts down?  In my experience it
>> takes the backend between 2.5 and 3h to "time out" an FE that has gone
>> AWOL.  IOW, once a FE connects, the backend will continue to assume it's
>> on and connected for somewhere between 2.5 and 3h and prevent it's own
>> shutdown for that time.
> that could be it - i think i left it for 1.5hours last night. is there a way to reduce that timeout; something like 5-10minutes would be far more suitable (i presume the FE-is-online 'announce' flag is broadcast every few seconds).
> it does sound like a bit of a bug - the FE isnt announcing it's shutting down and thus the BE is staying awake, so unless someone can come up with a solution, i might report a bug.

The timeout is for when a frontend crashes instead of shutting down
properly.  When shut down properly, the backend sees the frontend
disconnect, and knows that it has no clients connected, so is allowed to
shut down immediately.  This sounds more like a system socket issue or
network issue than like a MythTV bug to me.

And, besides, I think it's already been reported:
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9712

Mike