[mythtv-users] ATI Remote Wonder, evdev, xorg.conf, no lirc and button repeat

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Sun Aug 7 06:49:13 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 17:49 -0400, Michael Lynch wrote:
> So, I've managed to get my ATI Remote Wonder working without lirc as
> an input device within my xorg.conf file.  I've also followed and
> successfully remapped keys according to
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Remapping_remote_control_key_codes_greater_than_255.
>  However, I can not for the life of me figure out how to turn off
> button press repeats.  I have tried:
>
> xset r off  (from within my X session)
>
> Option "AutoRepeat" "2000 1"  (to my xorg.conf for the correct
> InputDevice section)
>
> both with no apparent effect on the USB remote.  Does anyone have any
> other ideas that may help me to get the remote buttons to *not* repeat
> when pressed?  If not, any ideas on how to at least make the repeat
> rate around once every 2 seconds?

IMHO it's a lot easier to ditch X11 evdev input and use lirc from the
evdev simply because it's much easier to control.  The main problem with
X11 is the mapping from RC keys to X11 kbd codes (for which you'll
probably need a custom map).

lirc gives you the ability to emulate a mouse with the RC and do modal
key mapping.

The RC key delay and repeat rate is set within the kernel and can be
modified with the ir-keytable util from the v4l-utils package.  If your
distro doesn't have it you can get here:
http://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-utils/v4l-utils-0.8.5.tar.bz2

--
Lawrence