[mythtv-users] 'mythtv is idle' and wont auto shutdown/suspend

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Aug 7 01:59:24 UTC 2011

On 11-08-06 01:38 PM, Tim Draper wrote:
> i've just added a second mythtv pc; FE only, to my existing FE/BE setup that would suspend when left idle.
> however, now when the FE-only machine shuts down (initiating 'shutdown' from the menu in mythfrontend) the BE still seems to think the FE-only machine is still connected.

How long have you waited after the FE shuts down?  In my experience it
takes the backend between 2.5 and 3h to "time out" an FE that has gone
AWOL.  IOW, once a FE connects, the backend will continue to assume it's
on and connected for somewhere between 2.5 and 3h and prevent it's own
shutdown for that time.

> restarting the 'mythbackend' process seens to clear the lock, but thats not very convenient!

Indeed, on both counts.

b.