[mythtv-users] MySQL related BE deadlocks - collective wisdom needed

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 4 20:39:27 UTC 2011

Thought I'd mention that Daniel K just pushed a change that reworks
reconnections.  It removes the MySQL-library provided auto-reconnect
that I just put in (for the exact same reasons MySQL changed their API
to disable auto-reconnect--because it can't work with certain
application designs, and MythTV has changed since 0.21 to a design where
auto-reconnect cannot work).  So there's no need for further testing
that patch.

We have high hopes that this will work around the frequent MySQL
connection drop-out issues some users were seeing.  And I'd still be
very interested to hear details if anyone can identify the specific
MySQL server/client library configuration that's causing these frequent
drop outs.

If you're running master, please pull an update (to 4dfcdb8dd0c80 or
later), and please report back if it helps.  For those of you on
0.24-fixes, I will try to create a backport patch and post it here for
testing later today.  We plan to let this sit in unstable for a bit of
testing and to prove it actually works before pushing it to -fixes, though.

Mike