[mythtv-users] Good method to extract audio clip from recorded program?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 00:44:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently recording analog shows via Hauppauge's PVR-500 under
> MythTV 0.23.x (MythBuntu 10.04, never updated) and want to extract an
> audio clip from a recorded show to make a ringtone.  Any suggestions
> appreciated, just don't ask me to compile something.

ffmpeg -i infile.ext -ss starttimecode -t timecodeofduration outfile.wav

eg:

ffmpeg -i 12345.mpg -ss 00:30:00.00 -t 00:00:15.00 ringtone.wav

Would give you a 15 second wav at the 30 minute mark.

add -acodec nameofaudiocodec and change the extension if you need
another audio codec or container format.

Robert