[mythtv-users] MythTV + Time Warner + ??

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Aug 2 23:54:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Joe Henley <joehenley at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> My googling/reading/sorting/... makes me think I have two primary
> options to deal with TW using a CCI flag of 02 on just about everything.
>  (1) Use an Hauppauge HD-PVR (model 1212) and connect via component
> cables to the TV and via USB to the BE.  This will let me record in
> 1080i to the BE and playback at my leisure.

As Patrick already noted, this is really your only option unless you
want only broadcast channels.

> (2) Use an Hauppauge USB CableCard tuner (model WinTV-DCR-2650), with a
> CableCard from TW, connected via USB to the BE.  This will let me record
> in 1080p to the BE and playback at my leisure.
> Both of these have SiliconDust alternatives which connect via a LAN to
> the BE.

Or the Ceton card, which is a PCI Express expansion card.  All three
of these are equally useless with Time Warner.

I just wanted to point out another misconception you have.  All of the
cable card tuners and clear-QAM tuners capture the digital recording
in whatever resolution it was sent by the cable provider.  They have
no limits at all on the recorded resolution.  If the provider sends
1080i, you get 1080i.  If they send 2160p, that's what you get.  Very
few cable providers will send anything over 1080i/720p, so in practice
you can't really record 1080p.

Eric