[mythtv-users] Comcast CableCard Info

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 03:40:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
>> I am having an issue tuning some channels though. The Ceton log shows
>> everything is fine but I get "Error opening jump program file buffer"
>> on my frontend (which is remote from the backend and does not have
>> Ronald's patches applied).
>> Ron, is this something your patch fixes that I should apply it to my
>> frontends as well, or is this possibly something else entirely?
>

> I'm glad you finally got it to work.
>
> The patch does not need to be applied to the frontend. Neither of my
> frontends have the patch applied. You only need the patch on the
> backend.
>
> For several weeks, my patch has been rock solid with tuning, both for
> recordings and for live tv. Never had a single problem. Yesterday the
> EMM data on my card expired (for some reason it never refreshed in the
> 30 days since I activated it...haven't figure out the cause of that
> one yet). I got a tech from the NOC to refresh it today, but yesterday
> when I was trying to figure it out on my own, I upgraded the firmware
> on my card to the latest version (1.0.3.4, I think it was 1.0.2.8
> before the upgrade). Immediately, I started noticing issues with the
> tuning occasionally failing. I had code in my patch to detect a failed
> tuning, but the way it was failing now was tripping up my patch. I
> seemed that when you tune a channel, all the status fields were
> getting set as you'd expect (which made my script think the tuning
> succeeded) but then a second later the program field would change back
> to zero. By then, my code had thought that stage had succeeded and
> moved on.
>
> I was able to work around that earlier today, and so far it's worked
> just fine. I haven't yet uploaded the new patch. I'd like to tweak it
> a tiny bit more before releasing it, but I didn't get a chance to do
> that today (other things came up), and it looks like my ceton will be
> busy recording until midnight. I'm gonna see if I can throw together a
> virtual machine setup for testing tonight. Hopefully I'll get it
> released tomorrow.

that sounds exactly like my problem. I wonder if going back to the
older firmware would be better if the tuning worked better?

either way, I'm ready to guinea pig the patch.

one thing I noticed, and you may have too, with how the channel tuning
fails now, is sometimes when it does I have to restart the backend as
it becomes unresponsive, otherwise it's fine.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!