[mythtv-users] Logitech Revue (Google TV) is now $99 and will run Honeycomb, any good?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Aug 1 23:13:20 UTC 2011

On Aug 1, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> The CE4150 has a 400Mhz GPU based on the powervr SGX535,
> and has hardware decoding of the usual suspects (i.e. MPEG-2,
> VC-1, H.264, etc.), but last I looked, the linux SDK was not
> publically downloadable (you needed to sign a licensing agreement).

Unfortunately, Android itself doesn't do MPEG-2, which means that MythTV would have to transcode everything to h.264 so it could be streamed to the device (something we can't legally do in the US, and something which can't really be done for LiveTV on most commodity hardware).

FWIW, the MythTV developers approached Google a few months ago to try to get access to the same DVR control API that DishNetwork uses so we could just pipe MythTV through the passthrough HDMI input, but they were unable to help us.  They did provide us with a few Revue units for free, though, but I don't think anyone was able to reverse engineer the protocol.  Hopefully they'll open it up soon, or make it part of the standard GTV SDK.

On the other hand, maybe it's already there.  I haven't looked at the docs since they were released:

    http://code.google.com/tv/android/docs/gtv_documentation_intro.html

It honestly shouldn't take much to write something that enables HDMI passthrough and passes keystroke events to MythTV via its existing fronted remote control protocol.

-Chris