[mythtv-users] Upgrade (Debian wheezy/sid using KDE) breaks operating Mythtv-backend installation

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 1 16:02:50 UTC 2011

On 08/01/2011 11:46 AM, M D wrote:
> My Mythtv-backend (0.24.1+ ) stopped working after an upgrade this
> weekend. I have been exploring the issue for a day now, and found the
> backend will work after a restart of mysql but not knowing mysql and
> MythTV very well, I am a little tentative on what to do now and wonder
> if someone else has a more elegant fix than just restarting mysql and
> then the backend or a suggestion on where to look for one.
>
> More of the details are below, but the short version is that I think
> that something related to an KDE/akonadi installation/upgrade changed
> the mysql configuration, which now appears to be working for akonadi
> on startup.  The backend at that point will not start as it does not
> appear to be able to access its database.    (In that state, however,
> I can still log into the database as the mythtv user. )
>
> I am wondering if there is a script in the mythtv installation that
> might reset the configuration files or if I have to change something
> manually.
>
> Thank you for any suggestions.

This sounds a lot like the issue that hit GNOME users a while back where
mythbackend was started before the network was set up (due to GNOME's
network manager) or the one that hit upstart users where mythbackend was
started before mysql was started.  However, in those cases, mythbackend
would start just fine once the system was up and running--just wouldn't
start from the start script on system start.  Have you tried just
starting mythbackend after the system boots (without restarting mysql)?

Mike