[mythtv-users] Building a database of cablecard encryption (CCI) details

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 11:01:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 5:14 AM, Erik Jensen <eriksjunk at laurelwoodart.com>wrote:

> The flag goes away temporarily when my provider inserts local
> commercials, so I have a feeling it's probably from up stream. Since
> CGMS-A is an analog technology, it seems that it would have to be
> encoded into the VBI of the video itself, like closed-captions.
>
> -- Erik Jensen

That makes much more sense.  What channel is it BTW?  Also why would the
Ceton have to respect a flag that all ClearQAM ignore?  Does CableLabs
require it?  I guess the possibility of going to only CableCard tuning
devices will never happen.

The only problem with ClearQAM tuners is when frequencies change.  There
needs to be a script that can be run prerecord (or possibly at night for all
channels) that looks at the channel map from the Ceton and updates
the ClearQAM frequency table.  It could use xmlid to determine the
corresponding virtual channel to use when querying the Ceton card.  This
assumes this info can be queried.

-Tom