[mythtv-users] How do I disable a tuner

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sat Apr 30 06:12:01 UTC 2011

    > Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 01:22:33 -0400
    > From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>

    > Again, as mentioned in my other post, we don't need a way to represent
    > the information--we already have that.  We only need a UI for changing
    > (and showing) it.

So the order in which the cards are defined (or their inputs are
assigned) is in fact immaterial?  And the issue with the order in
which they are defined or connected is important solely because there
is no existing UI to dink with already-existing DB fields?  That
hasn't been clear in almost every discussion which started with
"first, delete all your capture cards and then define them in an
order which..."

    > In other words, the internal data model is none of your business (where
    > "your" means anyone who isn't actually using the data internally in
    > MythTV code).  A good application will, however, present a useful UI
    > that makes a user-important concept clear--regardless of how the
    > information is stored internally.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm driving at.

    > > (For that matter---uh oh, feature creep---we could then define a
    > > priority called NEVER USE and the OP's original question would have
    > > been solved without the whole disconnect-from-sources-no-wait-delete-
    > > it-instead business---just set the don't-use priority and reset it
    > > later.  Users have occasionally asked for this functionality for a
    > > long time to deal with short-term changes to Myth's environment;
    > > this might be a good excuse to make it easier.)

    > Wow, those lazy devs.  They really should do that.

Oh, give me a break.  Getting all passive-aggressive solves nothing.

    > (Here I'm just saying that if I had anywhere near the kind of time
    > available that some of these, "Someone ought to," messages seem to imply
    > we devs have, MythTV would be a very much more mature program from the
    > one it is.  ;)

And what -I'm- saying is that we often hear, quite loudly, that
there's no point in anyone even submitting patches for something
because "no one needs that" or "there's a workaround" or whatever.
Personally, that pretty much means -I'm- never going to waste my
time even thinking of working up a patch.