[mythtv-users] How do I disable a tuner

Jay Cornell Jaycornell at comcast.net
Fri Apr 29 08:04:30 UTC 2011

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 11:04 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>
>> On 4/27/2011 21:16, Jay Cornell wrote:
>>
>>> Hi..  I seem to have a bad cable in the basement.  While i am working on
>>> the cable, is there a way to easily disable a single tuner -- i have two
>>> connected to a combined frontend/backend.  I know that i can go into
>>> setup, but i was wondering if i could disable via mythweb or the frontend.//
>>>
>> You can use the backend protocol and lock the tuner, preventing its use,
>> however unless there is some very pressing issue preventing you from
>> restarting the backend, just go into mythtv-setup, and disconnect the
>> source from the input.
>>

> Really, you should also delete the capture card from the Capture Cards
> section (or, better, just delete the card, which will disconnect its
> input).  MythTV does not like unconnected capture cards.  It's only
> designed and tested to have configured and working cards, so if your
> card doesn't work, don't leave it configured (even disconnected) in MythTV.
>
> Mike

I am going to go to Input Connections section and change the Video
Source for the bad Capture Device to NONE.  Am i correct in assuming
that the  scheduler will not use/consider this device now.  This should
buy me time to fix the bad cable.

If i delete the capture Card, won't it be more reconfiguration to
re-enable / test later? I suspect my problem is a bad cable not a bad
capture card.

Thank you,
Jay