[mythtv-users] Multiple Data Direct lineups not working

Bob Shanteau rmshant at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 23:47:18 UTC 2011

On 04/27/2011 12:40 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 01:02 PM, Bob Shanteau wrote:
>> I have 3 capture cards:
>> HVR-1600 ATSC connected directly to Comcast cable
>> HVR-1600 MPEG connected to Comcast SDTV settop box (Pace DC50X)
>> Firewire connection to Comcast HDTV settop box (Motorola DCH3200)
> So you need to have 3 MythTV Video Sources.

Yes, thanks. I'm calling mine Comcast cable, HDTV settop box, and SDTV
settop box, and I can see them all now.

>> So my first question is, how do I get "Fetch channels from listing source" working again?
> "Fetch channels from listings source" only works on Video Sources where it's expected to work /properly/.  It has never worked for any Video Source connected to DVB/ATSC/QAM type cards--those cards /require/ channel scans to get the necessary information about the channels.  It will not work for Firewire-connected Video Sources, since those are treated as digital capture.

Actually, I just tried "Fetch channels from listings source" with my
Firewire Video Source, and it worked fine. In fact, that's how I first
set up the Firewire-connected HDTV box when I got it about 6 months ago
and it's been working perfectly ever since.

>    It will work for any Video Source connected to an analog capture card, but only if the

Did you mean to add something here?

>> My second question relates to how one should go about adding a second settop box to mythTV.
>> For my 3 cards, the channels available on the card connected directly to cable is a subset of the channels available on the SDTV settop box, which in turn is a subset of the channels on the HDTV settop box. So should I follow the instructions in the mythtv-HOWTO for "Caching support for Schedules Direct" for my 3 cards?
> Yes.  That's probably more easily understandable with the title, "Sharing one Schedules Direct Lineup with Multiple MythTV Video Sources".  You can either use the approach it uses or the inverse.  (It says to pick the most restricted source's channels, then set them up in MythTV, then add the rest of the channels, and set them up in the other Video Source in MythTV.  The alternative approach is to add all the channels from all your Video Sources to the Schedules Direct lineup, and add all those channels to all MythTV Video Sources, then delete the extra channels from the more-restricted sources.)

Schedules Direct only gives me two choices for creating a lineup, the
first being all the channels that my HDTV settop box can receive
(including all the premium channels, foreign language, radio, etc.), and
the second being only the analog channels (2-30 in my case).
Unfortunately, there is no choice for the channels that an SDTV settop
box can receive, so that means I need to use the lineup for my HDTV
settop box and simply mark the extra channels as invisible. If I delete
the extra channels as in your alternative approach, then a simple
mythfilldatabase run will just insert them again.

It would be easier if Schedules Direct gave me that third choice for the
channels my SDTV settop box can receive. I will mention that to them.

>> Also, it seems like a lot of work to edit my SD lineups each time Comcast changes its lineup. Is it really that disadvantageous to have multiple lineups on Schedules Direct?
> Not sure what you mean here.

I was referring to what the first paragraph of the mythTV HOWTO guide
says about avoiding "multiple downloads."
<http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-24.html#ss24.2> I presume it
meant that if you have multiple lineups, that would result in multiple
downloads. Is that true?

Bob Shanteau