[mythtv-users] pixelation when using nfs for playback

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 15:28:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 04/26/2011 06:44 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Better might be to get rid of (or move to some place MythTV doesn't use)
>>> the NFS share.
>> huh?
>
> Use MythTV's built-in "Myth Protocol" for streaming recordings and Live
> TV to frontends.  Then, NFS can't break things.  :)
>
> If you mean your recordings are stored to remote drives using NFS and
> that's where the corruption is occuring (i.e. corrupt files, versus just
> corruption during playback), this approach won't help.
>
> Mike

Gotcha. Let me re-ask the question then with better background information.

I'm running 0.24-fixes from the Mythbuntu auto-builds repository.
I have a master backend with all my recording drives (6, via storage
groups). I have a remote frontend/backend with a single cable box
connected via firewire. This box thus has the recording drives NFS
mounted so it can write to them.

I also have a frontend in my bedroom which I had mounted them for some
reason as I was playing around with something.

At some point, perhaps a week or two ago I started to notice heavy
pixelation on playback, especially of things currently recording. A
while ago there used to be a setting to always playback via the myth
protocol's streaming and not via the locally mounted drives. I had it
check marked. Since this pixelation has started occurring I noticed
that I no longer see this option. Easy enough on my frontend-only
systems, I just don't mount the drives locally. But for the combined
system this is an issue as I don't have that option anymore.

So as you can see, I need to figure out how to mount the drives to the
combined FE/BE without incurring the pixelation issue. I tried CIFS
but that seems to be even slower than NFS and has much more pixelation
issues.

If I could still enable the method where it will always stream for
playback that would probably solve the issue.

thanks!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!