[mythtv-users] frontend hangs on playing a recording (0.24-fixes)

Rob Clive rob at r2g2.co.uk
Tue Apr 26 10:17:12 UTC 2011

> > On 11-04-25 04:28 AM, Jordi Castells wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm using 0.24-fixes from git server and compile it, so I suppose I have the
> > > last version
> > >
> > > From time to time I have some recordings that I'm not able to watch, and even
> > > worst try to play them hangs the frontend, well to be more exact, frontend it is
> > > not hang, but it take too long to answer, so user feel as it is hang.
> >
> > Welcome to the club.  Seems to be a software playback thing.
> > If your card can do VDPAU, then using that usually "fixes" things.

This issue also exists with my installation of 0.23-fixes.  Except
there's no way back from the 'Please wait...' screen except by
restarting the frontend.  It doesn't happen very often: probably every
10 playback attempts on average but is nonetheless annoying and is
causing a significant loss of WAF.

I assume there's no fix apart from 'use VDPAU' which is not an option
for me.  The issue only arose after an update about 6 months ago so it
must be possible to identify the cause and stop it. Please?

Rob Clive
< On average people fear spiders more than they do death >