[mythtv-users] iPad Remote Control - Developers Wanted

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Fri Apr 22 15:45:53 UTC 2011

> MythDroid is bidirectional, in that the desktop daemon wedges itself in
> place of the LCD output function, and info can be sent from the mythbox to
> the remote app for stats like current recordings etc. In addition, text
> messages sent to my phone and incoming calls automagically display on the
> Myth frontend. To be honest, having to shove the MythDroid Daemon onto
> each
> FE is kind of a pain. Just curious.
>
> Your mention of asx streaming got me to thinking a bit more about how
> tough
> this actually would be. MythDroid allegedly allows streaming on the fly by
> invoking ffmpeg on the backend and sending the bits right to the phone, so
> it seems very do-able that an iOS-friendly MP4 stream could be sent to the
> device without the need to jailbreak. Again, though, I suppose this
> requires
> more stuff to be installed on the mythboxes.
>
> I guess the more I think about it, the more it looks like we may need some
> kind of middleware framework to be baked into Myth - Similar to the
> MythDroid Daemon, but its own animal so it doesn't have to hack its way
> into
> the LCD output every time it's needed. Now that my ramblings have
> completely
> derailed this thread, I'll go back to grumbling about not knowing how to
> write code.

I completely agree with all points here. When you read my other response
you'll see I've been trying to think about how an integrated MythWeb
solution could help with some of this. The unfortunate part is working in
the shared source is usually a much slower process than external apps :)

As for the daemon on the frontend, I'd love to see network controls for Myth
support external commands (as an option). So for instance, mythfrontend
could execute /bin/huludesktop, or a keyboard emulator that works external
to myth. I may even focus on this at some point, but I've got a long way to
go, first. Certain features of my app will require a daemon without this,
but those features won't exist at launch anyway.

I haven't tried MythDroid, but it sounds like a lot of the features it uses
for the daemon would work simply by accessing the MySQL database or SMB
shares directly, instead of requiring a daemon.. I'll have to try it out.

Thanks,
Ben