[mythtv-users] Request for help making live TV useable

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Thu Apr 21 13:18:58 UTC 2011

On 11-04-21 04:47 AM, warpme wrote:
..
>> However.. I also noticed a bunch of decoder fixes in trunk,
>> dealing with calculating the number of buffers needed,
>> and fixing bugs where buffers were being recycled while
>> still in use and so on.
>>
>> So I backported those as well to 0.24-fixes. This seems to have made
>> a noticeable improvement in my PVR-250 LiveTV channel changes.
>> I can now often change channels 8-10 times without locking up,
>> whereas normally only (exactly) three channel changes were needed before.
>
> Hi,
> May You post here list of backported commits.
> I have quite similar problems to Yours and want to try backport and see how it helps in my case.
..

I began with this commit from tralph:

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/f8c108ef9a5c6bac9ec2414c47e2f404047e43b9

and then added a few follow-on commits from  mark-kendall:

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/f54bfcb57dc26cc3a084be8fbed4bc4620726b1b
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/f2713206d10b3ce3198bf4bb40cb60206a36c3d8
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/bd7d2da5b17cdf15c51828548080633be948c79b
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/7d302773791cc8e5d31500143549e25a3ab591fc

And finally the commit that eliminates any need to set vdpaubuffersize=
in the playback profiles:

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/5e04d57bc87a6f422ccba79a493bebef50566162

Those did not all apply cleanly to 0.24-fixes, so a bit of work was required
to get them to play nicely.

Oh and there was one other commit in there somewhere to initialize
the vdpau surface states or something --> that one gets rid of the corrupted
screen backgrounds after a mythfrontend crash.

Anyway, the patch files that work for me are now on my server
at http://rtr.ca/mythtv_patches/  --> patches 40 through 45.

They probably will apply cleanly to any mythtv-0.24-fixes base,
but there might be a mismatch or two due to other patches
(not yet made available) which I may have applied underneath it all.

Cheers