[mythtv-users] Request for help making live TV useable

warpme warpme at o2.pl
Thu Apr 21 12:43:03 UTC 2011

>Seems rather odd to me that people would take the trouble to backport most
>of master's changes back to 0.24-fixes rather than just run master. You'd
>probably have an easier time just running the bleeding edge.

In fact I just started to be prepare to such move. Currently my BE & FE build systems are ready to switch to master via simple 1 line edit.
Issue is that flipping between 0.24 & master is highly asymmetric in terms of labor. 0.24->master is fully automated while master->0.24 req. high amount manual work with DB. I was trying asses what switch to master means
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/476819) - but as You without progress.
As my sys is production sys to whole family (3 person with individual FEs) - I MUST be very careful. DB schema changes is only thing causing me to be so conservative.
Alternative here is patching of 0.24. While it requires much more work from me - reverting to stable sys takes 40s (10 sec to reinstall BE bin package on BE server + 30sec to reboot diskless FE with old PXE image).
From dev point of view I fully agree with You. From user point of view I'm forced to be much more conservative than I want to be....
br