[mythtv-users] Missed recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 19 16:42:19 UTC 2011

On 04/19/2011 07:40 AM, Mike Holden wrote:
> Bernard Giannetti wrote:
>> I notice that I'll have recordings set to go and then a guide update
>> will occur and I'll see this message on the right (in MythWeb
>> Upcoming Recordings) where it says Don't Record | Never Record:
>>
>>      "Not airing in timeslot this day"
>>
>> What I suspect is that the guide data changes slightly - the show
>> may change it's start time by one or two minutes and as such the
>> scheduler I guess deems this recording invalid.

That's exactly what's happening.

> I would normally ignore the timeslot recording options, for
> precisely this reason.
>
> I almost exclusively use the any time on any channel, and the record
> one instance options, and rarely use the other choices.

Exactly, timeslot recording rules are almost always the wrong solution
to the problem.

Nearly all rules should be "any time" rules, and you can fine tune them
with filters like "New episodes only" or "Exclude repeat episodes" or
whatever.  (Or, better, just teach MythTV which episodes you've actually
seen with Never Record.)

Timeslot rules were created specifically for those shows that do not
provide episode information, but that air frequently, with only one
timeslot showing a new episode each day or week--things like The Daily
Show or NewsNight or similar.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/153872#153872

Mike