[mythtv-users] Request for help making live TV useable

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 06:56:19 UTC 2011

On 17 April 2011 10:24, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 04/16/2011 08:24 PM, Adam Felson wrote:
>> I've been using mythtv since around version 0.12 and have never found the live tv function to be terribly useable.  For me there have always been lots of crashes and it seems to have only gotten worse.
>>
>> While I've watched some new functionality like the internal video player go from alpha quality to being a wonderful solidly mature feature, live TV for me is still problematical.
>>
>> I currently have two sets of capture devices:
>>    a pair of NTSC plextor convertx usb2 external capture units w/ mpeg4 encoding
>>    a pair of HDHomeRun ATSC ethernet external capture units each with a pair of ATSC tuners.
>>
>> They all work very well for recording.
>>
>> LiveTV has always had problems tuning.  95% of the time it would crash after a channel change.
>>
>> For liveTV, version 0.23 got bad and 0.24 has gotten worse.  I can no longer switch channels at all.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to debug my setup.  I'd rather not completely erase my capture cards, as it'll cause all my recordings to no longer display what channel they were recorded from.  However, if I have to, then I will.
>
> First off, make sure you're on current 0.24-fixes.  Thanks to some
> post-0.24-release fixes by Taylor Ralph and Mark Kendall, Live TV in
> current 0.24-fixes is more stable than any prior version's Live TV I can
> remember.

As Mike has already said, you'll definitely need to get your hands on
the very latest 0.24-fixes - which had its latest livetv related fix
just a couple of hours ago. There's not really a lot that any dev can
do to help out if you're not on something pretty recent as there have
been so many fixes that any debugging of an older version is likely to
be next to useless.

If you can update and you still see problems, then please capture some
logs with '-v playback,file,record' verbosity for both the frontend
and backend (at the same time).

regards

Mark