[mythtv-users] Partitioning advice request

francis3 francis3 at libero.it
Fri Apr 15 21:19:59 UTC 2011

* Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca> [150411, 12:18]:

[...[

> The Barracuda spins at 7200rpm, compared with only 5400rpm for the WD.
> That alone can make a drive much louder.

My Barracuda is
Model ST32000542AS  SATA 3Gb/s  2TB  5900
that spins at 5900 rpm.

I have always been satisfied by Barracuda drives.
I suppose this one was too noisy due to mechanical failure.

> But also, some drives benefit from a slight tweak to
> their seek algorithms, known as the "acoustic management" setting.
>
> Not all brands/models support it, but your Seagate could be one that does:
>
>    hdparm -M192 /dev/sdX
>
> (use the latest hdparm from sourceforge).

Thanks for the info.
I'm gonna try the "acoustic management" as soon as Seagate ships the drive
back.

Regards
f.

--
francis3  - GnuPG Key ID = 05A867E6
Key fingerprint = 2622 A58F DAE3 034B 986A  B456 FC80 DD7F 05A8 67E6