[mythtv-users] Ceton Infinitv4 on Amazon

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 21:12:47 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 4:52 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Not cheap (though at $100/tuner not really bad either), but it looks
>>> like they got the manufacturing issues figured out and it's easily
>>> available on Amazon now,
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Ceton-Infinitv4-Digital-Cable-Quad-tuner/dp/B003B4VLJQ/
>>>

>> Now only if I could get Comcast to install a cable card in one. I know
>> they would have a serious problem with linux so I assume I would have
>> to have the technician install it in a windows7 box. Does anyone know
>> if the cable card requires it to be used in only the machine and OS
>> that it was activated in?
>>

> Don't part of the new FCC rules define that they have to ship you a
> card if you request one?

I don't think they have to ship one to you, but they do have to make
them available. Really what it comes down to is who you have coming to
"install" it. I've had a mix of Comcast tech's in the past, some with
constant questions about Myth, some who could care less about
anything, and some who were hardcore Comcast conformists. If you get
one of the first two you should be good to go, one of the latter and
just make another appointment. In my area they make appointments into
the late evening which makes it very convenient, and sometimes it's so
late in the day they don't care.

What does have to happen once you install it though is it has to be
"activated", just like any other cable box, but the process is more
tightly controlled so they usually won't let the customer activate it.
thus getting a tech with some patience or curiosity about HTPC who
will let you control things and just relay the numbers and such back
to the main office.

still, no real support in linux yet anyway, but being more easily
attained now may help speed that process up (more interested
developers getting their hands on one).

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!