[mythtv-users] LIRC and MythBuntu 10.10

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Apr 15 17:47:16 UTC 2011

On Apr 15, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Greg Hormann wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>>> If that fix is not already in Ubuntu-10.10, then you should probably
>>> pursue the Ubuntu kernel maintainers and try to get it added there.
>>
>> Good luck, I tried pushing fixes to them several months ago for some
>> of the many issues their shipping imon driver has. Unless the fixes
>> came in via the -stable tree, it didn't meet their stable update
>> release criteria, or something like that. Since the imon bits in the
>> Ubuntu kernel were acquired via a backport, there's no corresponding
>> stable tree bits. Same thing for lirc_serial.
>
> Jarod has *way* more influence than I'll ever have, so we'll consider
> me pushing them a non starter. :-)

Well, if its *just* a small patch for lirc_serial, it might have a
better shot than the much more involved imon fixes I asked them to
take in. Then again, Ubuntu 11.04 ought to be released Real Soon
Now, and should have a fully functional lirc_serial. Or not. It
looks like that fix went in post-2.6.37, and 11.04 is shipping with
a 2.6.37.x-based kernel. So it would seem a 2.6.37.x stable tree
backport of that patch is probably in order. Sigh. I think there
are probably a few others I should send to the 37 stable tree to
head off another 6 months of already-fixed IR issue reports from
Ubuntu users...

>> My suggestion for anyone running Ubuntu that is experiencing IR driver
>> issues is to go this route:
>>
>> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers
>
> Um.  I'll have to play with this some more.  I tried it a few weeks
> ago, but ended up with a build failure that didn't appear to be
> firedtv related. I'll spend some more time on it this time...

Its occasionally a losing battle keeping all the latest media tree
code compiling on older kernels. Report build failures to
linux-media at vger.kernel.org and we'll try to get them fixed and/or
offer work-arounds.

--
Jarod Wilson