[mythtv-users] Partitioning advice request

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Apr 15 17:09:11 UTC 2011

On 15/04/11 16:51, francis3 wrote:
> * Mike Perkins<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>  [150411, 11:31]:
>
>> I agree with all of the above, but surely the point of having one drive per
>> tuner is that you reduce head movement - assuming mythtv is smart enough to
>> spread the recordings around.
>
> Assuming I add another 2T drive for recordings, do I have to play with
> storage groups to spread the recordings between the two drives?

Yup. One spindle, one partition, one entry in the storage group set. Preferably,
both entries in the same set (ie default). Chopping a big drive into partitions
just means the heads have to go hammering all over the place. Myth will take
care of assigning recordings to drives as required.

* If you haven't seen the note yet, you should make sure to make your video
directory(s) (and hence your storage group entry) a level /below/ the mount
point. That way, if the mount fails for any reason, myth won't fill up your root
partition :P

--

Mike Perkins