[mythtv-users] Mytharchive - Audio/video Drift when archiving a recording to DVD, and edits not being honoured

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri Apr 15 12:39:38 UTC 2011

On 15/04/11 12:48, Angus Kerr wrote:

>> If you want to apply edits within MythArchive you have to activate this
>> after you have selected the recordings: use the 'm' or menu key to bring
>
>> up a list of options.  In Myth 0.24 the cuts are still inverted.
>>
>> Personally I prefer to do things one step at a time.  That way you can
>> hope to make some progress instead of always starting from the beginning
>
>> after the likely misfires.
>>
>> I don't know how many people are starting from .nuv these days. I
>> haven't seen sync problems during the last few years when starting from
>> mpeg2 recordings or pre-converted .nuv.
>>
>> And a 300 minute single-layer dvd won't give good picture quality; but I
>
>> suppose you can judge that from what you have.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> John P
>
> Thanks John.
>
> Will check out the menu options - must have overlooked this issue.

My note about the inverted cutlist probably applies only if Project-X is
being used.

> As for your comments about nuv - I can't see a way on how *not* to have
> the recording in .nuv?

Not if that's what your hardware gives; I work from dvb-t and suspect
that most people now use digital sources.  ISTR that I used mencoder to
preconvert from nuv to a dvd-ish format, but still with the original
filename, on the few occasions that I've done it.

> I did get sync errors some years back because of dropped video frames, but
> that was through the AV inputs, where the streams go separately..
>
> I did not expect sync errors with a video file where the audio and video
> are already in sync...
>
> Quality wise, it is quite surprising how good the quality is considering
> it's being squashed so much. But then, from the RF output of my PVR, the
> quality was pretty bad to begin with....
>
> The only reason for this exercise was to be able to get the 6 hours onto a
> single disk so a friend could look at it.
>
> A few speed bumps later, it's still a bit of a train wreck.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that ffmpeg is the smoking gun?

Maybe someone else can answer that.

John P