[mythtv-users] find orphans.py question

richard Woelk richardwoelk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 16:12:04 UTC 2011

On 4/13/2011 12:46 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/13/2011 02:41 PM, Warpme wrote:
>> Sorry for slight off-topic.
>> I'm using script below in regular way in my 0.24-fixes production system.
>> I consider it useful as it allows me to do regular maintenance
>> (especially cleaning up DB&  storage groups)
> Please let us know what regular problems you're finding so that we can
> fix our broken code that leaves orphaned files.
>
> Workarounds don't work.  We need to fix the problems, and can't do that
> if no one reports them.
>
> I have never had an orphaned file on my MythTV system (in use since May
> 2004), and have only had orphaned metadata when I had hard drive crashes
> and lost the recordings on the file system.  If you regularly need to
> maintain your DB and storage groups, something is wrong.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Mike,
     I agree that in a normal working system these orphans don't happen. But we need some
"repair" programs for when things do go wrong.
Hard drives die and corruption happens. I have recently lost my OS drive and my database
backup was 2 weeks old. A lot of recordings have been done in that time, and a lot of
shows were watched and deleted
There are now orphaned db entries and orphaned recording files. I now have to work at
fixing this situation.

If it is too difficult to import these old recorded files into recordings, maybe a way to
move them to mythvideo would let us watch them.
the orphan DB recordings could be moved to another record group "orphaned" so that a
schedule could be made to re-record them.

- Richard