[mythtv-users] 720p display at 1360x768 with hdmi receiver? (slightly OT)

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Apr 14 07:12:01 UTC 2011

On 11 Apr 2011, at 21:09, GZ wrote:

> Hi all,
> This might be a little OT, but useful to some mythtv users.
> My mythbox is driving a 720p TV at the panel's native resolution -
> 1360x768.  I'm considering putting an HDMI-capable audio receiver in
> the mix for HD-audio capabilities.  When I do this, will I have to
> start setting my X-server to display at a true 720p resolution?  It
> seems like most of the HDMI audio receivers only seem to support the
> true 720p signal as opposed to the 1360x768 panel resolution.  For
> reference, I'm looking at the Yamaha rx-v467 or 667

I have a Yamaha 667, works fine with a GT430 including all the HD audio formats, there do seem to be some subtle differences between direct connections and via the amp. My previous surround amp seemed to pass everything through as is, except that it never liked 1080p50 which is not very useful when you live in the UK! Recently HDMI packed up completely, just out of warranty.

I do only use 1920x1080 but I can try some wacky resolutions for you if you like?

BTW the Yamaha was a replacement for a faulty Onkyo 606, wow what an upgrade, I suddenly like watching movies again :-)

Andre