[mythtv-users] SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

brianr69 at gmail.com brianr69 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 04:23:00 UTC 2011

Yes, I pride myself on not being obnoxious.  I'm sure you can tell.

Oh... crap... I didn't "bottom post".  My apologies.  I'm sure this has
offended many of you FOSS purists.  I'm sure you'll promptly ban me for my
transgressions.  Quick!  Find a crucifix and nail me to it!

I guess the point I'm trying to make (with quite a bit of satire) is that if
you folks weren't so rigid, maybe more people would take up your cause.
 Microsoft didn't make it to their level by pissing off their potential
users.

I understand how much time and dedication it has taken to develop your
product (for free).  However, if you want to attract a larger audience...
(to quote an old southern-USA saying) you'll get more flies with honey than
with vinegar.

I was honestly interested in Myth.  However, after such negative responses
as I received, it totally turned me away from Myth.

Yes, I have a lot more experience with Windows than with Linux but I LOVE
the idea of learning new things.

The responses I received here were what turned me completely away from Myth
(that, and the fact that the "simple" Mythbuntu installation wouldn't even
run on my hardware).  Conversely, I've received nothing but helpful,
positive responses in similar forums that are dedicated to Windows Media
Center.  Those folks go the extra mile and don't criticize when someone asks
a stupid question.

Media Center isn't perfect.  However, there is a TON of
free-open-source-software or donation-ware for Media Center that
accomplishes everything that I want to do.  I now have a working Media
Center system that serves HD video to every room of my house from a single
Windows PC.  Admittedly, I'm still tweaking and learning new tricks... but
it serves my needs and more.  The machine I built is silent, cool, and does
everything I've read that Myth can do.  Yes, I spent quite a bit of money on
the machine and the extenders to make them do what I want to do... but it's
very solid... and reliability is very important to me.  I'm pretty anal when
it comes to building a reliable machine that will stand the test of time...
I don't cut corners... so that's a big part of why I spent the amount of
money that I did.  The machine is overkill.  It rarely runs at more than 20%
of capacity in either CPU, disc I/O or network I/O.  It will probably still
be doing its job in 10 years... just like every over-built machine I've ever
owned.

I'm sure I'll receive a lot of flames from this message, but I really don't
care.  I'll be deleting my Myth account pretty soon anyway.

I hope you'll reply to future requests from newbies who challenge your
pre-conceived notions with more care than you replied to mine.