[mythtv-users] 720p display at 1360x768 with hdmi receiver? (slightly OT)

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Apr 13 18:53:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM, GZ <gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> This might be a little OT, but useful to some mythtv users.
> My mythbox is driving a 720p TV at the panel's native resolution -
> 1360x768.  I'm considering putting an HDMI-capable audio receiver in
> the mix for HD-audio capabilities.  When I do this, will I have to
> start setting my X-server to display at a true 720p resolution?  It
> seems like most of the HDMI audio receivers only seem to support the
> true 720p signal as opposed to the 1360x768 panel resolution.  For
> reference, I'm looking at the Yamaha rx-v467 or 667 - those can be had
> for pretty cheap now.

I have a Yamaha receiver, and I was never able to get it to pass
through the HDMI signal from my mythTV box (with any of several
different nVidia graphics cards) without severe distortion in the
image.  The TV is 1080p natively, and I run at 1920x1080 resolution,
but the display is all messed up when I run the mythtv through the
receiver.  Connecting the mythtv directly to the set works fine, and
running the HDMI output of both a Blu-Ray player and an HD cable set
top box also works just fine, it's only the mythtv system which has a
problem.  I was never able to figure it out.

Eric