[mythtv-users] PVR-250 remote control: compatible with PCTV-800i interface

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Mon Apr 11 03:52:13 UTC 2011

On 11-03-29 04:07 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
> .. this September 2011, analog TV disappears finally from where
> I live in Canada.  So I'll be yanking out the one remaining PVR-250
> and replacing it with another DTV tuner.
..
> So.. my solution going forward:  I got a PCTV-800i card, formerly by
> Pinnacle but now owned by Hauppauge.  And as it turns out, the IR
> interface on that card recognizes and receives from my Hauppauge
> PVR-250 remote controls just fine.  Woo-hoo!

That was with Linux kernel 2.6.36.

Today I installed 2.6.38.2, and discovered the PCTV-800i IR receiver
to be totally b0rked -- somebody has broken userspace backward compatibility
AGAIN in the IR drivers in the kernel.  That's a no-no in kernel-land.

So, I took an hour and rewrote cx88-input.c to once again work perfectly
with the RC5 protocol used by Hauppage remotes, and all is well again,
for me at least.

Cheers