[mythtv-users] HD-PVR: Suggestions on what to try next?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 23:35:40 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Greg Hormann
<ghormann at alumni.indiana.edu>wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Andrew Stadt <acstadt at stadt.ca> wrote:
> > On 10/04/2011 2:20 PM, Andrew Stadt wrote:
> > What do have this device setup as in mythtv-setup?  Card type should be
> > "HDPVR", not v4l or mpeg.  Just a shot in the dark.
> >
> > Andrew.
>
> Card Type: H.264 encoder (HD-PVR)
> Video device: /dev/video0
> Default input: Composite
> Audio input: RCA back
> Tuning timeout: 12000

Are you really using the composite input?  The main reason to use the HD-PVR
over other capture devices, is to get HD, and for HD you would need to be
using the component input.

The HD-PVR can get in a bad state if told to record from an input, and there
is nothing hooked up to that input.  So, if Myth is trying to record from
the composite input, but your cables are actually hooked up to the component
input, that would cause problems.

Same is true for audio.

Regarding firmware, what should be reported from the "most current"
> firmware?  If I update, do I need to boot the device in windows, do
> the installation again, and update /lib/firmware on the mythbox?

The latest firmware shows up as 0x15 in the Linux driver.

John